Monday, December 12, 2011

Wordstew entry; 11/10/11

Challenge: STEW ON THIS for Thursday, November 10, 2011: “The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed.” – Carl Gustav Jung. Write, in 400 words or less, about meeting someone for the first time.

We were driving past the Humane Society on our way home, and I asked Chuck to pull over so we could visit the animals. As we walked around the room full of kennels that so many - too many - cats and kittens called home, there was a lot of meowing and hissing coming from them, and a lot of oohing and aahing coming from the two of us. Chuck picked up a little striped kitten and remarked that even though we didn't need another cat - we already had two - he wouldn't mind taking that little guy home if he hadn't already been spoken for.

Looking down into the bottom row of kennels, I saw a little ball of black, brown and cream fur with golden eyes staring at me. She was scrunched up against the back wall trying to look inconspicuous. I asked the assistant if I could hold her, and she said that I could certainly try but that particular kitten was a bit shy. I reached in carefully and placed her warm little body on my shoulder; she wasn't much bigger than my hand. She nuzzled her nose into my neck and started in with the loudest purr I have ever heard. The next day, after all of the paperwork and reference checking was done, Grizabella came to live with us in her new forever home. Chuck is long gone, but Grizabella is now 12 years old and has been one of the biggest blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment