Monday, December 12, 2011

Wordstew entry; 11/8/11


Artist: http://zenosfrudakis.com/sculptures/public/Freedom.html
Challenge: STEW ON THIS for Tuesday, November 8, 2011: “A good photo stops a moment from running away.” Eudora Welty. Write up to one paragraph about this image.

Many people don't understand how difficult it is to treat mental illness. There are never any clear-cut answers; nor are there any quick fixes. In the beginning, I was wrapped up in my illness, all alone, not knowing for certain what was wrong. In my late teens, I was diagnosed with cyclothymia after my anorexia landed me in the hospital. Medications and therapy were administered with some positive effect; but still, something wasn't right. Eventually it was determined that cyclothymia was an incorrect diagnosis, and it was changed to bipolar II disorder with chronic insomnia. Different medications, different therapy; things were starting to fall into place - but we weren't there yet. Years of riding the diagnosis/medication merry-go-round followed; and finally, in my late 20's, we had an answer. Bipolar NOS, chronic insomnia, PTSD, and generalized anxiety disorder. This was after 5 hospitalizations in 2 years. So, 12 years after that initial hospitalization, we found the correct medications at the correct dosages, and the correct type of therapy. There are still times when my meds need to be tweaked, but, for the most part, I have been free to live - most importantly to me, to live hospital free for almost 4 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment